Line
Line
Line
Line
Line

Message Boards

Class of 1982
Let Us Re-Unite Here!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blake Wheelers words may mean more than he believes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Class of 1982 Forum Index -> Forgetable Moments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
letang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Blake Wheelers words may mean more than he believes Reply with quote

Blake Wheeler jumped onto the ice, took a little pass off of a weave from Bryan Little, swooped down and flicked a wrister passed Nashville Predators goaltender Pekka Rinne. The goal would give Wheeler and the Winnipeg Jets a 5-4 overtime victory. To the casual hockey viewer that flicked on the television to get their climatic 3-on-3 overtime fix, the goal meant nothing more than a simple finish to their quick viewing pleasure. But to the Winnipeg fans and the Jets themselves, Wheelers goal had a little more meaning than any average sweet victory. I dont think were where we need to be from an emotional standpoint, Wheeler said. I just dont think that theres of an investment from everyone to get to where we need to go. Your follow up question is going to be how do we get that? Thats the million dollar question. How do you get I dont even know how many guys we got 20-plus individuals to buy into the same thing and spill everything they have every night into it? I dont have that answer today. Hopefully well figure it out by tomorrow. In times like this, its important that everyone takes a look in the mirror individually to try to figure it out because you start pointing fingers and wonder what the next guys going to do. You know, it just spirals. If you listen to Wheelers tone, hes not mad. Hes not being negative. Hes not angry with any of his specific team mates. Hes not calling his team out. Hes just tired, worn down by the inability to meet their expectations, brought down by the dark cloud that is looming over this teams collective head. And he just wants to see some form of positive change. Wheeler doesnt believe the comments he made lit a fire underneath anyone or woke his team up https://www.jetsuniform.com/Jets_Jansen_Harkins_Jersey-17. He believes he simply answered a question he was asked and gave a truthful comment. But Wheeler said it himself. There was some form of change within the 24 hours he made the comments, and that could possibly be related to the comments he said, whether hed like to take the credit or not. I dont think I was really doing much. I mean, I think I got asked a question and I was honest, Wheeler said of his comments following the win against the Predators. It wasnt premeditated to kick anyone in the rear. I just think we need to be honest with ourselves, and I think weve been honest with ourselves over the last 24 hours and you could see some pushback there. Thats exciting. More than anything, we just had a great feeling in our room, great feeling on our bench and even 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, we still had a good feeling. That was a good sign for us. Hes on a team with impressionable young players Julian Melchiori Jersey. Each and every night, he lines up with guys like Jacob Trouba, Adam Lowry, Andrew Copp, Nikolaj Ehlers and Connor Hellebuyck. Each and every night, he lines up with proven winners, guys like Andrew Ladd and Dustin Byfuglien, and theyd love to do so again. And each and every night, he lines up with guys who got a taste of what playoff hockey was all about, guys who had their playoff hopes quickly and embarrassingly snuffed away just last season. He lines up with guys who want to win. And, more than likely, when a guy like Wheeler says something, they take note. After all, hes an alternate captain that has 43 points in 44 games, who seemingly gives it his all each and every night. Why wouldnt they take his word as gospel? Why wouldnt they take a moment to truly think about their roles on the team, and what they could do to make things better? Sure, its impossible to quantify just how significant Wheelers words were in their emphatic win over the Predators https://www.jetsuniform.com/Jets_Keith_Tkachuk_Jersey-18. And we cant predict if it will have any lasting effect outside of the Nashville victory. But we do know that Wheeler brought light to their issues. He gave it a face. He said everyone should look in the mirror. He said no one should just bask in their gloom and feel sorry with themselves. And then he went out and promptly put the exclamation mark on the statements by going out and netting the game winner. Thats the sign of a guy who is willing to do what it takes to snap his team out of a funk. Thats the sign of a guy who can smack some sense into his teammates Alexander Burmistrov Jersey, make them think about the big task at hand. Thats the sign of a leader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Class of 1982 Forum Index -> Forgetable Moments All times are GMT - 3 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: